R: [postgis-users] match line with road segment

P.Rizzi Ag.Mobilità Ambiente paolo.rizzi at ama-mi.it
Thu Jul 17 07:38:06 PDT 2008

If I undestood it well enough and you are trying to match
GPS tracked points upon a road system, you should be careful
about crossings.
Where two roads cross, a GPS point may be nearer to the crossing road
instead of the one the vehicle actually was.
So you should ensure to somehow "stick" to the "correct" road.
Maybe by calculating the azimuth of each individual two-consecutive-points
segment and searching for the road nearest to the ending point
of the segment _and_ with the azimuth most similar to the segment itself.
Obviuosly sometimes a vehicle actually turns into a crossing road,
so you should also recognize that somehow and _don't_ "stick" in that case...

Bye
Paolo Rizzi