[postgis-users] create tables smarter

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Wed Jun 4 13:18:15 PDT 2008

Hi Frank, folks;

This is the kind of thing that would be really great to see:

    * a way of creating geometry that relied on SQL and not on calling
      stored procedures
    * a way of deleting same
    * a system table that held ancilliary information

It bugs me that I can DROP a table and still have a row referring to
that table in geometry_columns.

I also find it kind of perverse that some desktop viewers require a
specific structure in a table containing geometry in order to view it.

Not to sound negative or anything!  Heaven forfend!  It's just that
PostGIS is so much better than having to use a programmatic access like
SDE when I want to use my geometry, that I find it hard to accept that
it hasn't gone that last few centimetres.

--
Regards,

Chris Hermansen         mailto:chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
tel+1.604.714.2878 · fax+1.604.733.0631 · mob+1.778.232.0644
Timberline Natural Resource Group · http://www.timberline.ca
401 · 958 West 8th Avenue  · Vancouver BC · Canada · V5Z 1E5