[postgis-users] GIST index speed

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jun 4 16:20:40 PDT 2008

First, basic index concepts: when you are requesting the whole data
set, the index (any index) does *nothing* for your performance.  To
use an (obsolete) metaphor, if you are checking out *every* book in
the library, do you first go to the card catalog?

So your test case isn't testing anything index related.

Step one: is something seriously wrong with your database setup? Is
this query pretty fast: SELECT Count(*) FROM asdfs_track_point

It should be, counting to 42000 doesn't take long.

Step two: why *is* your SQL case slow? Doing anything 42000 times
shouldn't take long, particularly since one of your arguments is
simple and small.

Unless... your geometries are extremely big, or your tuples are
extremely wide.  Do you have a large large number of columns?  How
many vertices in your geometries?

P.