[postgis-users] Buffer select from one layer to another?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jun 11 12:41:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Abram Gillespie
<abe.gillespie.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the difference between using st_* and other functions w/o the
> st_ prefix.  For example, why is there both st_buffer() and buffer()?

The non-st_* functions will be first deprecated and then removed in
future versions, as we harmonize our function names with the ISO
specification (and the other implementations).

A handful of the st_* functions also implement implicit index calls,
to remove the PostGIS-specific && syntax from SQL where possible
(again, in the interests of interoperability).  The "auto-magic index"
functions are ST_Intersects(), ST_Contains(), ST_Within(),
ST_Touches(), ST_Crosses(), ST_CoveredBy(), ST_Covers(), ST_Overlaps()
and ST_DWithin().