[postgis-users] Postgis for geology work

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Thu Jun 12 10:18:39 PDT 2008

Hi Gus,

	These might also be useful: gdal_grid, gdal_contour
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_grid.html  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_contour.html

> I´ve got to separate visualization and operations ( make something and
then visualize in browser or other software ).

What are you looking at to visualize 3D Models in browser?

Map viewing:
	1. OpenLayers is 2D

	2. SVG is 2D

Globe viewers:
	3. GoogleEarth has nice 3D but is pretty much a read only globe
viewer with google terrain and has license issues for commercial users. The
models you are needing would be hard to overlay as kml polygons

	4. Virtual Earth 3D similar to Google with same problems. Low
performance on heavy external datasets.

	5. NASA World Wind - I think it has/is moving to a .NET base (does
this mean Windows only), source is available but geared to global terrain 3D

General 3D scene viewers:
	6. WPF is 3D but is still limited to IE clients and XBAP/XAML (XBAP
works somewhat like Java Web Start)
	 It is somewhat promising for IE web viewing, and could be used for
rendering gridded subsurface models and volume models. (Windows Firefox
.Net3.5, Safari plugin future? Linux doubtful? Silverlight WPF 2D subset
only)

	7. X3D what viewers do people recommend? How does X3D work as
browser plugin?

randy