[postgis-users] out of memory @ UPDATE a big table

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Fri Jun 13 09:31:52 PDT 2008

:) Hi kjt,

Actually, 21000 is a very small table. There are spatial tables out
there with 1/2 billion rows.

You shouldn't be getting an out of memory error on such a small table.

What happens if you try to restructure your query, like:

UPDATE kecskemet_k.foldreszletek AS t
SET hrsz=f.szoveg
FROM kecskemet_k.feliratok f
WHERE t.geometria && f.geometria
AND intersects( t.geometria, f.geometria )
AND f.reteg IN ( '11' );

If you still get an out of memory error, let us know of your machine's
specs and Postgres settings, like shared_memory, work_mem, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin