[postgis-users] Problems Compiling GEOS 3.0

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 18 14:23:37 PDT 2008

Bill Thoen wrote:
> This probably is the wrong list to whinge about this, but I don't know
> if there is a geos-users list. Please point me in the right direction if
> so.
>
> Anyway, I'm having lots of problems running make on GEOS 3.0. Errors
> saying "'DoubleBits.cpp memcpy' was not declared in this scope. and the
> same for strtod in StringTokenizer.cpp. It looks like there are some
> #include statements missing or I have a non-standard set of *.h files
> (I'm using Fedora Core 9, Linux).
>
> Anyone else have problems like this and how do I correct it?

Bill,

I presume this is an issue with a very new gcc version that is stricter
about something.  I've heard the gcc team is "improving" their include
files to avoid including stuff that isn't required so perhaps memcpy()'s
include file needs to be pulled in deliberately now.

There is a geos mailing list, and trac at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/

I would suggest you file a ticket, including information on the gcc
version, and a capture of the build errors. You also might want to try
building from "svn trunk" to see if this problem has already been dealt
with.

Best regards,