[postgis-users] Spatial Operators

Marcus C. England marcuscengland at gmail.com
Fri May 30 16:44:47 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Well, moving to PostGIS as a spatial data format has helped a lot with
trying to learn SQL, but I still have problems with the SQL syntax for
spatial operators. Here is what I want to do:

Layers:
   (1) basin_grading: polygons representing the impact area of a
proposed basin, plus 100' and 200' buffers. Whether the polygon
represents grading or a buffer is stated in attribute column "land_use"

   (2) new_vegetation: polygons representing vegetation communities. The
community names are in attribute column "veg_".

The problem:

I would like to use sql to generate a table of vegetation types and the
acreages impacted by each land use in "basin_grading". I would assume
you would use "ST_Intersection", but I have tried to alter quite a few
examples of its use that I found on-line and I always get an error about
my syntax.

Tips, pointers, etc are greatly appreciated.

-Marcus