[postgis-users] degree vs. metric projection performance?

Davi Pires inhodpr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 04:58:15 PST 2008

Hi all,

I am developing an application that uses google maps as a front-end
and postgis in the backend. Currently, we are using google mercator
projection (SRID = 4326) for all geometries in the database. But,
since we perform lots of geometric operations with these objects
within the database, I am concerned about performance issues.

Wouldn't it be better if instead of a mercator projection, we stored
all information in metric-based values?
If so, is there any metric-based projection that works in any part of the world?

Thanks for any help.

Davi Pires

--

eco-blog: http://tarjaverde.wordpress.com