[postgis-users] degree vs. metric projection performance?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Nov 26 06:35:01 PST 2008

Its not in there.  The closest in there is SRID=3395 which is just
mercator.

+proj=merc +lon_0=0 +k=1.000000 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84
+units=m +no_defs

I'm not clear the differences.

I suppose we should add it since for example looking at the OpenLayers
list -  a lot of people use it
and it seems to be a defacto id if not an official EPSG code.  though
whether to use 900913 or 3785.  Neither of which are in the
spatial_ref_sys to my knowledge.

I think Google Mercator does go by multiple SRIDs, so maybe its not
really in the standard yet.  I'm actually not quite sure about that.

Here are a couple of threads
http://crschmidt.net/blog/243/google-projection-900913/

http://lists.gpsdrivers.org/pipermail/gpsdrive/2008-March/000855.html

According to this the agreed standard is EPSG:3785 but never heard of
anyone using that SRID.  Most
of the examples I have seen use 900913 so maybe the new 3785 is to cover
both Virtual Earth and Google but not sure if that quite describes both
to the letter.

http://www.sharpgis.net/post/2008/05/SphericalWeb-Mercator-EPSG-code-378
5.aspx

Hope that helps,