[postgis-users] GEOS Project Sponsors Wanted

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 10 06:02:41 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Do you want to help the PostGIS project get faster and remove nagging
> bugs? Then become a project sponsor for GEOS, the library that PostGIS
> uses for topological operations! GEOS project sponsorship will be used
> for things like: bringing the latest performance improvements in from
> JTS (new Buffer is 20 times faster!, cascaded union is 10 times
> faster!), addressing corner cases that still cause topological errors
> (see http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/report/1), and ensuring that community
> patches get reviewed and added to the code base.

Paul,

To regularize things, there are a couple steps we ought to take:

  1) Get the GEOS PSC to pass a motion supporting participation in the
     OSGeo Project Sponsorship program (hopefully with a bit of supporting
     material on how we hope to use the funds).

  2) Bring a motion to the board authorizing GEOS to participate in the
     program before it completes incubation.

I don't anticipate any problems with these, and I don't think there is any
harm in starting to beat the bushes for sponsors in advance.

Best regards,