[postgis-users] Cannot install 1.4.0 as non-root user

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Wed Dec 2 06:58:17 PST 2009

I should have clarified. We are using the system Postgres and installing
PostGIS and GEOS ourselves. In the past (1.3.5), we just compiled
PostGIS with --prefix, --with-geos, and --with-pgsql* and it worked
great, just like any other GNU-style "configure" software. Now... ????

(As an aside, it was also very frustrating that --prefix was silently
ignored instead of failing at configure time with a coherent error
message. We spent over an hour tracking that down.)

We're on Ubuntu Hardy.

* --with-pgsql was needed because we are on Postgres 8.2 but some of the
8.3 stuff is also installed because of unrelated dependencies. But in
1.4, install wants to put stuff in the 8.3 directories even though
configure apparently found 8.2 with --with-pgconfig. So I don't see how
we can install 1.4 even if we did have root.

Reid