[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Wed Jan 7 09:23:24 PST 2009

I think keeping this book in line with the "For Dummies" would be the best approach. A PostGIS internals could be a separate publication for those who care about geometry engine hacking and such.

The for dummies approach would make it easier to use for presenting to management and professionals. This has been stated a few times now and I think this is the biggest seller. Many enterprises have ESRI implemented and are very leery of migrating or introducing an added complexity to their geospatial management systems.

If this book could explain the high level uses and migration and/or integration with other spatial products, this would be a big selling point for me and foster adoption into mainstream business.

As far as our use, I used it to migrate legacy VB6 and ESRI AML code to PHP5 using a custom PDF/PNG rendering script. This was to get away from VB6 and AML code and to allow any user to run maps without the licensing fees.