[postgis-users] ST_Disjoint function

Mark Leslie mark.leslie at lisasoft.com
Wed Mar 25 16:02:32 PDT 2009

Lee Meilleur wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a contiguity check using the ST_Disjoint function.  The
> results list the number of distinct polygons for a redistricting plan,
> some disjoint and some touching on a corner.  I need to distinguish
> between the two and also show the total of all.  To test this, I created
> a dataset that contains 2 sets of disjoint polygons.  When I run the
> ST_Disjoint expression, the district with 3 disjoint polygons is listed
> as having 6, while the district with 2 disjoint polygons is listed as
> having 2.  The feature type in this layer is polygon.  The expression
> I'm using is:
>
> SELECT a.district, count(a.district) FROM planfile AS a, planfile AS
> b WHERE a.district = b.district AND ST_Disjoint(a.the_geom, b.the_geom)
> GROUP BY a.district;
>
> Results:
>
> district   |  count
> ----------+----------
> 17B         |    6  (incorrect)
> 26B         |   2  (correct)
>
> Am I missing something?  Viewing the data in Quantum GIS shows three
> disjoint polygons for district 17B and three unique records in the
> attribute table.
>
> I took this further and added another set of disjoint polygons.  At
> first just two, and the ST_Disjoint function shows two.  But when I
> increased it to four, the ST_Disjoint function came up with twelve.
>
> I've tested this on two different PostGIS servers with the same results:
>
> POSTGIS="1.3.2" GEOS="3.0.0-CAPI-1.4.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.0 Dec 2007 USE_STATS
> POSTGIS="1.3.5" GEOS="3.0.3-CAPI-1.4.2" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.1 21 August 2008
> "USE_STATS
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Lee Meilleur

You are looking for a count of the total number of disjoint polygons for
each district id, while you're asking for the total number of disjoint
polygon pairs for each district id, as below:

  create table blah (id serial, district varchar, point geometry);
  insert into blah (district, point) values ('17B', 'POINT(0 0)'),
('17B', 'POINT(1 0)'), ('17B', 'POINT(2 0)');
  select a.district, count(a.district) from blah as a, blah as b where
a.district = b.district AND st_disjoint(a.point, b.point) group by
a.district;

  district | count
----------+-------
  17B      |     6

  id | id | district
----+----+----------
   1 |  3 | 17B
   1 |  2 | 17B
   2 |  3 | 17B
   2 |  1 | 17B
   3 |  2 | 17B
   3 |  1 | 17B

Assuming you have some sort of unique id, try:

  select c.district, count(*) from (select distinct a.id, a.district
from blah as a, blah as b where a.district = b.district AND
st_disjoint(a.point, b.point)) as c group by district;

  district | count
----------+-------
  17B      |     3

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com