[postgis-users] Logging mouse movements on Web GIS application

Mulone andrea.ballatore at ucd.ie
Fri May 8 08:21:10 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I have a question for you.

I'm trying to migrate a small stand-alone interactive java GIS application
to a web set-up. What I have to do is take user's mouse movements and layer
actions (on a vectorial complex dataset) and log them on the server to run
some calculations on them.
Do you think it would feasible on MapServer (http://mapserver.org)? I was
thinking of sending AJAX calls from the browser to the server, but would it
be possible to get a reasonable accuracy?

e.g. The user logs in, looks for a cinema and clicks on it to see its
opening hours. -> the server logs user's mouse movements in real time.

The technologies I intend to use in the backend are Java and PostGIS. All
the rest is pretty much open to anything suitable.

Thanks for any hints,
Mulone