[postgis-users] installation issue - compiling proj4

Paul McCullough paul.mccullough at sfgov.org
Fri May 15 10:04:01 PDT 2009

All,

I had some trouble installing proj4 and I need to know if
I should be worried about it.

Context:
 - brand spanking new 64 bit centos VM on 3tera
 - CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
 - Linux XXX 2.6.18.8-xenU #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 14:00:41 PDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux
 - Postgresql was "preinstalled"
 - dammit Jim, I'm a java developer - not a linux developer

OK, so while installing proj4, I run
    # ./configure
and I get "no compiler found".  When I ran
    # yum install gcc
the last line was an error...the details I do not recall (got dizzy).
Simply running a few yum installs was not adequate because these would
output various errors and I would find that gcc or make or "what have you"
was not installed.

After repeatedly running commands such as
    # yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
    # yum install glibc-headers glibc glibc-commonglibc-devel
    # yum update glibc glibc-common glibc-headers glibc-devel
    # yum install gcc
I was finally able to get proj4 to configure, make, and make install.
The only worrisome line from the output was from "make install":
    nad2nad NADCON source files not present

My question include
 - how can I tell if proj4 is installed correctly?
 - should I be worried all the errors I encountered while doing the yum
installs?
 - should I not be using the 64bit OS?

Thanks
Paul