[postgis-users] Problems compiling PostGIS on Solaris 2.10/SparcV9

Alexander Von Luenen Alex.von-Luenen at port.ac.uk
Tue May 19 09:24:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to compile PostGIS on a SUN T5440 running Solaris 2.10, using gcc3.4.3. I have PostgreSQL 8.3.1 installed from the CSW repository, which has both 32bit and 64bit versions installed. Although the pg_config installed in /opt/csw/postgresql/bin is a 32bit binary (as I could check with 'file'), all paths etc. it returns are to the 64bit version of PostgreSQL. As I have compiled all libraries (GEOS, PROJ4, etc) as 32bit, this results in a linker error when compiling PostGIS, since it attempts to link the 32bit libs to the 64bit PostgreSQL libs. Using '-m32' as CPPFLAGS/CXXFLAGS didn't help. There is also a pg_config32 in the same directory as pg_config. How can I force configure to use this one? '--with-pgconfig' didn't work. The only solution I could think of is deleting/renaming pg_config, and setting a softlink to pg_config32. Any suggestions anybody?

Cheers,
Alex

Dr Alexander von Luenen
Senior Research Associate