[postgis-users] Newbie GIS/PostGIS Pointers

dustinb dustin at intrcomm.net
Tue May 19 19:17:14 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm researching for an application which needs to store "zones" based on gps
points.   Not sure the shape of these yet, most likely a circle or polygon.
The system then needs to determine what zone a particular "location" (gps
point) is in.

Can someone give me some direction as far as what terminology I should be
learning and using, good beginner tutorials, and/or documentation a ogc/gis
newbie should start with?

In what I've got out of it so far I'll need to create polygons (or other
geometry) and use st_within function do determine if the point is in that
geometry.  What I don't understand yet is how these polygons get created
from lat/long data points.

Thanks!
Dustin