[postgis-users] Newbie GIS/PostGIS Pointers

Christopher D. Kyle cdkyle at ucalgary.ca
Wed May 20 12:13:36 PDT 2009

dustinb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm researching for an application which needs to store "zones" based on gps
> points.   Not sure the shape of these yet, most likely a circle or polygon.
> The system then needs to determine what zone a particular "location" (gps
> point) is in.
>
> Can someone give me some direction as far as what terminology I should be
> learning and using, good beginner tutorials, and/or documentation a ogc/gis
> newbie should start with?
>
> In what I've got out of it so far I'll need to create polygons (or other
> geometry) and use st_within function do determine if the point is in that
> geometry.  What I don't understand yet is how these polygons get created
> from lat/long data points.
>
> Thanks!
> Dustin

Dustin, try checking out the first chapter of Regina Obe's upcoming book
on PostGIS, "PostGIS in Action".
http://www.manning.com/obe/
http://www.manning.com/obe/PostGIS_MEAPCH01.pdf
Chapter 1 is a freebie and a good starting place. Regina is very active
on the PostGIS developers' list.

Another text I like is Gary Sherman's "Desktop GIS: Mapping the Planet
with Open Source Tools". It is a very nice place to start if you are new
to GIS and want to stick with open source. It will give you an idea of
that tools to spend your time investigating further to meet you specific
requirements.
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/gsdgis/desktop-gis

Hope those help,
Chris