[postgis-users] pgsql2shp error

smas036 sina.masoud.ansari at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 02:50:25 PDT 2010

Thanks for the replies, the most promising command so far is:

pgsql2shp -f [path] -h [myhost] -p [port] -u [user] -P [password] [database]
 "SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE 'ID' < '20'"

Which has the output:

Preparing table for user query... Done.
Initializing... WARNING: Cannot determine spatial reference (empty table or
unknown spatial ref). No prj file will be generated.
ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table)

I think the query is correct as other combinations if single and double
quotes around field values produce
"...column does not exist..." or "The system cannot find the file
specified."

I believe the command parameters before the query are correct as the command
without a query:

pgsql2shp -f [path] -h [myhost] -p [port] -u [user] -P [password] [database]
[table]

works fine.

It would be possible to produce a table from a query and use this command
but I wonder if there is a performance loss in doing so...