[postgis-users] Postgis installation

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jan 13 15:28:03 PST 2010

Oscar,

The template database Nicklas is refering to is called template_postgis.

That always gets installed with the windows installer.  You can't uncheck it
so no need to go back to install to get it.  The test database postgis that
gets created is just a sample database.  I personally uncheck that setting.

To create a new postgis database, you use the template_postgis as the
template. (instead of the default template1 )

Its all outlined here
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgis_tut01
(though note this one is for PostGIS 1.4)

There is no such table called SPATIAL_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS .

The tables are
geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys

If you don't see those in your database or the below function doesn't work,
then you do not have postgis installed in your database

SELECT postgis_full_version();

As Nicklas said better to go with PostGIS 1.4.1, but if you are using
postgis 1.3.6, then the file is called lwpostgis.sql (instead of postgis.sql
(for 1.4 and upcoming 1.5))

Hope that clarifies things.

Thanks,
Regina