[postgis-users] how to determine a geometry type?

nguyen liem liemnguyendl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 04:14:20 PDT 2010

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your answer, my question is really  not clear... but I would like
to determine a geometry type by using a function, not by eyes ;)

Cheers.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Nicolas Ribot <nicolas.ribot at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2 July 2010 06:35, nguyen liem <liemnguyendl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I used GeometryType(geometry_column) to determine a geometry if it
> included
> > data.
> > If with one geometry_column with empty data, how to determine geometry
> type
> > of this ?
> >

> Hi.
> You should look at geometry_columns table, which is supposed to store
> metadata information about spatial component of a table.
> If it is empty, you should add entries to it (with
> probe_geometry_columns I think. look at the doc for more information
> on this function).
> Or change your tables creation scripts to call addGeometryColumn(...)
> to both create the geometric column in your table AND reference this
> table in the geometry_columns table.
>
> Nicolas

Liem Nguyen
Developer
Axon Active Corp.
Direct Line      : +84 38 948 4645
Fax                  : +84 38 811 3489
Mobile Phone  : +84 168 994 8897
Skype ID         : liemnguyendl2204
Email               : liem.nguyen at axonactive.net / liemnguyendl at gmail.com
Web Site          : http://axonactive.vn
Address           : 87 Thang Long Street,Gate 2 Ward 4,
                         Tan Binh District, HCM city, Vietnam.