[postgis-users] how to determine a geometry type?

Nicolas Ribot nicolas.ribot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:52:45 PDT 2010

On 2 July 2010 06:35, nguyen liem <liemnguyendl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I used GeometryType(geometry_column) to determine a geometry if it included
> data.
> If with one geometry_column with empty data, how to determine geometry type
> of this ?

Hi.
You should look at geometry_columns table, which is supposed to store
metadata information about spatial component of a table.
If it is empty, you should add entries to it (with
probe_geometry_columns I think. look at the doc for more information
on this function).
Or change your tables creation scripts to call addGeometryColumn(...)
to both create the geometric column in your table AND reference this
table in the geometry_columns table.

Nicolas