[postgis-users] Invalid geometry when using select AsText

rdelisabeth ramses.elisabeth at dans.knaw.nl
Tue Jul 6 02:37:23 PDT 2010

I am doing a GIS project where I combine shapefiles from different sources,
created with different spatial reference systems.

What I want to achieve is that if someone has a shapefile, no matter what
the srs is, the data can be combined with other data. All data will be
tranformed to srid 900913.

I succeeded in combining data from my Dutch and Belgian colleagues by using
the postgis transform function and transforming the geometries from "28992"(
Amersfoort / RD New) and "31370"(Belge 1972 / Belgian Lambert 72) to 900913.
This works perfeclty, the map of the Netherlands and Belgium are displayed
as they should.

My problem is the following. I also have some data from my colleagues from
Spain. Their data supposedly is in "WGS1984" epsg "4326". So I transformed
it to 900913 as I did with my other data. So far so good. BUT when I do a
SELECT AsText from one of the geometries I get the following:

"MULTIPOLYGON(((inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf
inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,
...etc etc ... inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf
inf,inf inf,inf inf),(inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf,inf inf)))"

I think this means that the geometry is invalid. When I read it from my
application using Hibernate spatial I get an error like invalid geometry.

I tried transforming from 4326 to 900913 and also from 94326 to 900913 but
with no luck.

Has anyone ever got this problem or does anyone knows what is going on here?

Thank you,

Ramses