[postgis-users] error updating multipoint: violates check constraint enforce_geotype

Biddy newskatze at riomhphost.net
Tue Jul 6 03:00:43 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a program that updates a table containing multipoints.
Now, I have several columns with multipoints, but only one breaks with
the following error:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: new row for relation
"lidarpoints" violates check constraint
"enforce_geotype_numtarclassidreflect"

The code and setup for the other multipoint geometries is exactly the
same, which is why I am surprised that it's not working for this one
case. I feel I am overlooking something simple.

My update sql is:
"update lidarpoints set numtarclassidreflect =
ST_UNION(numtarclassidreflect, ST_GeomFromEWKT('SRID=4326;MULTIPOINT(2
0 -1436)')) where lidarpts_id = currentRowID;"

Does anybody know anything about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
B.