[postgis-users] lidar: what is the recommended wayof storing/indexing

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Jul 8 09:26:52 PDT 2010

Generally (raw) LIDAR data is not on a regular grid, it's irregular.
So it's not a raster problem it's a billions-of-points problem, and
not just a billions-of-points problem, but a
billions-of-hyper-dimensional-points problem (though the indexing can
be in just 2- or 3-d, really). So grid-based solutions aren't really
going to do it.

P.