[postgis-users] may have postgis store limits for a big project?

Sebastian E. Ovide sebastian.ovide at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:54:31 PDT 2010

Hi Pierre,

We do not know yet.. it could be even hundreds !

each region (european country, US state, province, etc...) would have few
raster (even 20) representing different kind of information... (each pixel
would be 5mx5rm)... and I need to know the value of a pixel for all the
rasters in that particular coordinates...

with Oracle 11g GEORaster it is possible to compress the rasters (and get
lower performance of course)... in my case the compression rate is up to 600
!!!... so the amount of data is drastically reduced...

nevertheless I need to be able to do a few (up to 20) queries like this at
the same time in in a fraction of second...: select pixel from raster where
(x=X and y=Y). One query for each raster, representing a different
information

If WKTRaster is mature enough, we can create a cluster without the need of
paying a prohibitive license per CPU as for Oracle !

Sebastian

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Pierre Racine
<Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca>wrote:

>  Hi Sebastian,
>

> What kind of query are you planning on the raster? You know you can also
> use WKT Raster to simply “register” filesystem rasters, creating a king of
> geospatial catalog, without actually storing them in the database…
>

> How many 16GB raster do you have? Are your raster all representing the same
> theme? Are they overlapping (or they form a regular grid)?
>

> We don’t know of that many users cases up to now, but WKT Raster prooved to
> be very stable working on 1 GB raster coverage (see the tutorial).
>

> Pierre

Sebastian E. Ovide