[postgis-users] intersect operation in 3d?

Hugh Stimson hugh at hughstimson.org
Mon Jul 19 15:14:49 PDT 2010

Thanks for your reply Ralf.

Since posting my query I've found this helpful chart of functions with their 2.5d support:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch08.html#PostGIS_TypeFunctionMatrix

According to that, the ST_Intersects and ST_Intersection functions aren't yet 2.5d enabled.  So I'm guessing that means that while they will accept data with an assigned Z, as you suggest, only the x/y dimensions will be considered in determining if they are coincident.

That isn't sufficient for the application I'm working on, I need to be able to distinguish the case where one object passes over another one without actually touching. The shapes involved are complex enough that using a simple elevation rule to pre-filter can't account for all possible situations.

Might have to shell out the big bucks for an ESRI license. Ouch.

cheers, Hugh

--
Hugh Stimson / 778.373.1024 / hughstimson.org