[postgis-users] may have postgis store limits for a big project?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 04:04:56 PDT 2010

salas wrote:

> Hello to all:
> I am working in a project where they are managed more than 20
> geoespatials thematics. Each thematic one has a considerable volume of
> since information it is of the whole country (I am speaking of a lot
> more than a million of records). In the project we need to make (mostly)
> intersection consultations keeping in mind literal attributes.
> I need to know the experience of somebody in a project of this span and
> if PostGIS would present some limitation therewith.
>
> regards yuriesky

Since PostGIS makes use of the underlying PostgreSQL database, then you
may find the following table useful:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_maximum_size_for_a_row.2C_a_table.2C_and_a_database.3F

For several projects I've been involved in, we've had databases into the
10s of millions of rows and PostgreSQL/PostGIS has handled it fine
without breaking a sweat :)

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS