[postgis-users] may have postgis store limits for a big project?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 04:44:11 PDT 2010

Sebastian E. Ovide wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> what hardware would you use to manage tables of 40M rows ? (simple
> queries without Joins !) Each query must response in under 0.1 sec.
>
> thanks

Hi Sebastian,

In terms of CPU power, any modern multi-core processor will perform
absolutely fine. Make sure that you have plenty of RAM for caching (more
than 4Gb) with nice fast disks to boot.

As long as the majority of your queries don't return more than a few
hundred rows then I think you will be fine.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk