[postgis-users] Hanging Postgres 9.0 + Postgis 1.5.2 on windows

Andrea Peri 2007 aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 13:35:31 PDT 2010

>Andrea,
>
>I assume you are running 32-bit?

I'm running Postgres 9.0 and 8.4.4 both 32bit on Windows7-64bit.

>Can you provide a sample query that you are running that triggers this
>error?  If its loading from file, maybe a sample load file and script.  You
>can provide that to us off list if you want?

Yes,
I provide you offlist a script that always crash my Postgres 9.0.

The script is a bit huge (10 mbyte) because this is the exact sequence my program do before the PG9 crash.
Launching the script with "psql", the PG9 crash about 1 minute after the script is terminate.
The script do simply "create many table" and start to fill they with many inserts in the public schema.

I test this script with PG 8.4.4 instance (with postgis 1.5.1) and nothing happened.
Instead with PG 9.0 (+ postgis 1.5.2) the PG9.0 crash.

>I assume your load script is not using ST_GeomFromGML, KML etc?  If it is,
>we may need to reinvestigate.

No, the script use only the GeomFromText(..).

>Two changes we did make -- which hopefully is not the cause of this is that
>we are no longer statically compiling in libxml.  In the 1.5.1  we did
>because we were getting crashes when using GeomFromKML/GML, but we found a
>work around for it which seemed to work fine.  The other is the 1.5.2 is
>compiled against GEOS 3.2.2 instead of GEOS 3.2.0

... In effect the Postgis 1.5.1 of the PG 8.4.4 istance is using the Geos 3.3.0 I have compiled from trunk with VC++.

Instead the PG 9.0 is using the Geos 3.2.2 (from postgis 1.5.2)

>I guess to rule out PostGIS as the culprit -- you could try upgrading your
>Postgres 8.4.4 to 1.5.2 (a quick way is to copy over the postgis-1.5.dll
>,libxml, and geos binaries in bin folde) -- making sure to backup your
>existing and restart.  Binaries are available Postgis 1.5 8.4 binaries.
>http://www.postgis.org/download/windows/#windbinaries

Thx, I do this upgrade.
and re-test the script.

Regards