[postgis-users] Using PostGIS in commercial application

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Dec 28 06:59:41 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 08:44:11AM +0300, Andrew Smolko wrote:

> We want to use PostGIS in our server commercial application and there
> has arisen a question about violation of PostGIS license.
> To simplify the installation of our product for customers we want to
> create an install package which includes our server application,
> PostgreSQL and PostGIS. We do not modify PostGIS in any way, we just
> take official binaries zip file and include its contents in our
> installation.
>
> Do we violate PostGIS GPL license by doing the way I described?

No violation if you distribute the derived product under the GPL license.
Note that even if you're not willing to contribute back to the community
and thus will look for workarounds for not sharing the custom parts
you'll still need to distribute PostGIS complete with sources and under
the GPL license.

--strk;