[postgis-users] migrating tables to postgis

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Tue Jan 18 12:37:13 PST 2011

I apologize for asking what seems like an easy question.   I'm really just
getting started with PostGIS and not sure which way to go here.   I have a
two tables in MS Access format.  They are:

Table1: StationID, easting, northing, elevation, etc...
Table2: StationID, data values...

Table1 is basically an inventory of all our stations.  Table2 is a subset
that includes only stations we have certain data for.   How would I convert
these into a point data set (of Table2 stations) in PostGIS?   I was able to
copy the tables from Access into Postgres. Where would I go from here?
Maybe OGR would help going directly from Access (or text exports of Access)
into PostGIS?

I am using Postgres 9.0.2/PostGIS 2.0.0 on Windows, and using Quantum GIS
for viewing.  Thanks for any guidance.

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware