[postgis-users] Coordinates and SRID - bound overflow, ST_Equals

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Jan 20 06:22:33 PST 2011

Radu,
        I am somewhat confused.  From my somewhat limited understanding of
EPSG:4326 it's limited to values between 180, -180 for longitude and
90,-90 for latitude.  If your source geometry is epsg:4326, there should
not be values outside of those limits.  Are you wrapping around those
limits in your geometry column to accomodate lines/polygons  that cross
those boundaries ? ( Stretching my brain a bit here)  Can you give
examples of coordinates that you have that are exceed these limits?

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

"Ilie, Radu" <rilie at wsi.com>
Sent by: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
01/20/2011 08:33 AM
Please respond to
PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>

"PostGIS Users Discussion" <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [postgis-users] Coordinates and SRID - bound overflow, ST_Equals

Doug,

We do have the same problem. We are in a situation where a central server
has a column of type geometry (SRID 4326) and it has points with
latitude/longitude outside of (-180 -90,180 90). We need to retrieve the
values from this column and insert them into a local server where the
column is of type geography. It doesn’t work, we get errors like this:

ERROR:  Coordinate values are out of range [-180 -90, 180 90] for
GEOGRAPHY type

Our solution for now is to modify the PostGIS code and normalize points
outside of (-180 -90,180 190) during the cast to geography.

The solution is cumbersome, because it requires us to build PostGIS from
source under Windows (the local server is Windows 7). And that is a
science project in itself.

For reasons outside our control we cannot change the type of the column on
the central server, nor can we move the local server to Linux. Is there
any way to use the existing functions in PostGIS to normalize points
outside the allowed range for geography? We need something that can be
used during an implicit cast.

Radu Ilie

Would using the geography data type be more suitable to what you are
trying to accomplish?

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#PostGIS_GeographyVSGeometry
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

Balint Persics <persicsb at gmail.com>
Sent by: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
01/20/2011 06:30 AM

postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
cc

Subject
[postgis-users] Coordinates and SRID - bound overflow, ST_Equals

Hi,

I have a very interesting problem, but I think some of you may have a
solution for that.

When I try to model Russia with EPSG:4326 coordinates, I "run out of
the bounds", e.g.  Russia's extent is so wide, it overlaps the
-180/+180 coordinate range of EPSG:4326, so the most
eastern part is in the western Hemisphere. When inserting points to
the geometry column, PostGIS allows me to insert both (186,45) and
(-174,45) (the former is out of the bounds of the reference, the
latter is okay). When I query the database whether these two points
are equal with ST_Equals, I get a false result , but in reality, they
are the same. I think there should be a version of ST_Equals which
compares the geometries taking into account their SRID.

Thanks,
Balint

--
Persics Balint