[postgis-users] user postgres fiasco(?) on Mac OS X 10.6.6

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Mar 5 08:54:21 PST 2011

On Mar 5, 2011, at 4:38 AM, Rosemary Alles wrote:

> Hullo all,
>
> After running around in circles for a bit, I decide I would ask. The installation of PostgreSQL from http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx apparently created a user "postgres" (with no home directory - but that's ok) and if there's a password (maybe there isn't one?) then I have no idea what it is... I had to enable root to get into the data directory (su - postgress), now I'm assuming I have to edit pg_hba.conf (to change/set the password - authenticate users/roles) before I can do anything else?

This is normal.  (I *do* have this info in my Postgres distribution)  There is no password, but it's a special null password, not an empty password, so it can't be used to login to anything.  It's a user solely used for running Postgres.  But you can force authentication (for editing the config files) with root.

> Still, the current config is as follows, which appears to grant access to "all" w/trust? If so, why am I getting an error upon trying to create a DB as myself/admin?
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE        USER            CIDR-ADDRESS            METHOD
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all             all                                     trust
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all             all             ::1/128                 trust
>
> error:
> createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  role "whatever_name" does not
>
> exist

Have you set up any postgres users, "roles", yet?  Postgres doesn't use system users.  A "postgres" role is created on initialization (independent of the system postgres user).  Use that to create other roles and to manage other stuff.

Check the Postgres documentation and other help resources for more details.  My Postgres distribution has some basics, to get people started.