[postgis-users] postgis 2 installation failing

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Mar 18 08:10:19 PDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Ackbar Joolia wrote:

> This is strange, when I use the following command
> ./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_config \
> --with-geosconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Programs/geos-config \
> --with-projdir=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix \
> --with-raster --with-topology --disable-nls \
> --with-gdalconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Programs/gdal-config
>
> without setting the environment variables (the exports),

Without the *FLAGS, you just get a single-arch build, most likely x86_64 on OSX 10.6.  And most builds default to using the debug flag, so I always set CFLAGS to -Os.

The deployment target is just something I do and is not critical.

> the compile works (although the make is still failing),

Well, make IS the compile.  Or do you mean the configure works?

Maybe --disable-nls isn't all that's needed - what I actually did was configure for my custom gettext, and assumed that disabling it would work.  I suppose since you have Macports you could try using that - instead of --disable-nls, try:

--with-gettext=/opt/local

> but when I use the environment variables, the ./configure fails with this error:
> configure: error: could not find libxml2
>
> I don't know why it can't find it, when its /opt/local/bin/xml2-config here.

It should find it from the system, no need for macports.  Though it's possible Macports is confusing the configuration.  Generally, I don't think Macports is automatically checked, it depends on the software.  Straight Gnu configure won't, but some software checks for it.

> On 18 March 2011 14:26, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2011, at 9:13 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
> > On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:34 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> >
> >> How are you configuring PostGIS?  I have build instructions on my site (use the framework alternate at the bottom of the postgis page).  It's more than a simple configure, you need to set some environment variables.
> >
> > Of course, those instructions are for 1.5.  For 2.0:
> >
> > export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
> > export CFLAGS="-Os -arch i386 -arch x86_64"
> > export PG_CPPFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64"
> > export SHLIB_LINK="-arch i386 -arch x86_64"
> > export LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64"
> > ./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_config \
> > --with-geosconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Programs/geos-config \
> > --with-projdir=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix \
> > --with-raster --with-topology \
> > --with-gdalconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Programs/gdal-config
> >

> > So, lwgeom builds, but I get the error in shp2pgsql-core.c.  The other shp2pgsql sources compile.  It looks like shp2pgsql-core.c compile doesn't get any -I flags so it can't find my libintl header.
> >

> Got - try configuring without NLS:
>
> ./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_config \
> --with-geosconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Programs/geos-config \
> --with-projdir=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix \
> --with-raster --with-topology --disable-nls \
> --with-gdalconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Programs/gdal-config
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....
>
> - the wisdom of Tarzan

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan