[postgis-users] New to PostGIS - Simple Question

SixDegrees paulcarlisle at comcast.net
Thu May 26 11:30:48 PDT 2011

I'm quite new to GIS in general and PostGIS/Postgres in particular. I have to
write a C/C++ routine to dredge values out of an existing PostGIS-enabled
database. For the most part, this seems straightforward, but I can't figure
out how to access the members of types stored as points.

I'm aware of the ST_X() and ST_Y() SQL functions, but it using these seems
to require two queries. Is it possible to extract the point type into a
C/C++ struct/class with one call to the DB and process the results, or do I
have to make two calls for each point? I can't seem to find a PostGIS API;
does such a thing exist?

A short example would be much appreciated, if possible.

Thank you.