[postgis-users] PostGIS Conceptual and Phisical Modelling

Phil James borntopedal at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 06:00:31 PDT 2011

A simple way to see data in Quantum whilst running queries in Postgis is to write and test the query in Postgis then wrap it in a view. eg.

SELECT DISTINCT a.* FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE ST_INTERSECTS(a.the_geom, b.the_geom)

can be written as

CREATE VIEW myview AS (SELECT DISTINCT a.* FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE ST_INTERSECTS(a.the_geom, b.the_geom))

Provided there is a a field in the view that can be used as a key (the GID is a good one) then Quantum will display it.

If  there is not a unique key (eg. if you use intersects and get multiple gids then you can use CREATE TABLE and then add a Primary Key and populate geometry columns eg:

CREATE TABLE  mytable AS (SELECT a.* FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE ST_INTERSECTS(a.the_geom, b.the_geom))

ALTER
TABLE mytable
ADD
COLUMN id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY;
SELECT POPULATE_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS('public.mytable'::regclass);

Then it will be visible from Quantum.

Hope this helps

Phil