[postgis-users] [OSGeo-Discuss] Opengeo License

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Nov 20 14:49:05 PST 2011

Ravi,

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Ravi Kumar <ravivundavalli48 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nice to see that Opengeo suite offers several Licenses of support.
> http://opengeo.org/products/suite/pricing/
> Just wish some clarity
> 1. Free downloads (and self teaching) continue ?

The community edition will always be free to download. The enterprise
edition will require registration for an evaluation. The OpenGeo
workshops (workshops.opengeo.org) are free with registration.

> 2. The License is still GNU GPL?

Yes. All components are GPL or LGPL.

> 3. A license is good for getting support, but one can do without the same,
> if competent enough..!!

We imagine our market is not individuals (who often have competence
but generally no budget) but rather organizations, whose access to
competent individuals ebbs and flows as they enter or leave the
organization, but sometimes do have budget to buy a guarantee of
access to competence (us).

Best,

P.