[postgis-users] Trouble with shp2pgsql-gui?

John Brisbin boabinteractive at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:05:15 PDT 2011

G'Day all,

We're in the early stages of familiarising ourselves with the basic
management tools and procedures, so apologies in advance if this is well
documented (somewhere?).

We're running in a Debian (lenny) environment, using pgAdmin3 (1.14.0),
and have manually installed the shp2pgsql-gui (2.0).

In attempting to upload a well-formed ESRI shapefile with GCS_WGS_1984
projection, we get the following messages in the uploader gui:

Shapefile type: Polygon
PostGIS type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
Failed SQL begins: "SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO UTF8;
SET STANDARD_CONFORMING_STRINGS TO ON;
BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE "public"."ro310_socio-econ" (gid serial,
"idnum" int2,
"fid_" varchar(254),
"aus_" numeric,
"aus_id" numeric,
"f_code" varchar(254),
"bname" varchar(254),
"bnum" varc"
Failed in pgui_exec(): could not receive data from server: The system
cannot find the path specified.

  (0x00000003/3)

Shapefile import failed.
<<<

It looks like there is a problem with the encoding (why?) and then later
on there is a problem with the connection to the database (is that right?)

Looking for any guidance: much appreciated!

Kind regards,

JB

--
John Brisbin
Managing Director, BoaB interactive Pty Ltd

M: 0407 471 565 | P: 07 3103 0574
Skype: boabjohn | Twitter: @boabjohn