[postgis-users] configure: error: GDAL Python bindings required by raster2pgsql.py loader

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Oct 18 09:07:05 PDT 2011

While your GDAL was compiled for a newer numpy, probably in MacPorts, it's probably not overriding the numpy in the system (the older one I assume).

A standard numpy install uses the normal python path loading order, and in Apple's infinite wisdom (to keep an incompatible version from overriding what's in the system, I guess) the user site-packages (/Library/Python/x.y/site-packages, including any .pth files in there) is searched *after* system packages.  You need a custom .pth file that prepends (insert) the numpy path to the sys.path (I do that for my numpy package).