[postgis-users] Problem installing PostgreSQL 9.0 via Macports on OS X Server 10.6

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Sun Oct 23 19:16:08 PDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 07:16 PM, René Fournier wrote:
> 	[…]
> 	--->   Installing postgresql90-server @9.0.5_0
>
> 	To create a database instance, after install do
> 	 sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql90/defaultdb
> 	 sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql90/defaultdb
> 	 sudo su postgres -c '/opt/local/lib/postgresql90/bin/initdb -D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql90/defaultdb'
>
> 	To tweak your DBMS, consider increasing kern.sysv.shmmax by adding an increased kern.sysv.shmmax .. to /etc/sysctl.conf
> 	--->   Activating postgresql90-server @9.0.5_0
> 	--->   Cleaning postgresql90-server
> 	Sun Oct 23 12:45:49 -- server :: sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql90/defaultdb
> 	Sun Oct 23 12:48:41 -- server :: sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql90/defaultdb
> 	chown: postgres: Invalid argument

There could be a couple things wrong.  Does the group postgres exist?  Does the user postgres exist?  Does your chown support setting both user and group?  (Some os's may been chown postgres /opt/local...; chgrp postgres /opt/local...)

Not sure about mac ports install, but when doing it by hand, you have to create the postgres user and group by hand first.

(grep postgres /etc/group
and grep postgres /etc/passwd will tell you)

> 	Sun Oct 23 12:48:51 -- server ::
>

> So, according to the above instructions (and the tutorials I've read), this should simply work. What am I missing?
>
> On a different note, I have a couple questions concerning PostgreSQL security:
>
> 1. My understanding is that making the defaultdb directory owned by the postgres user is for security. Correct?

Ahh, sure.  It'll make sure nobody else can play with the files while PG is using them.  But if your user can sudo without a password, you got no real security.

> 2. Whenever starting psql, I have on my own machines had to specify "psql -U postgres", because:
>
> 	Sun Oct 23 14:27:28 -- Frodo :: psql
> 	psql: FATAL: role "rene" does not exist
>
> 	So, I do I need to add a role/user for my OS X user name?

Yeah, by default there is only a postgres user.  The very first thing I do on a new install is:
createuser --superuser andy
createdb

By default, pg_hba wont require a password when you connect via localhost.

And last, I'm not sure how the postgis list feels about cross posting but I dont think the pgsql-general list likes it much.  In general, you should find the right list for the question you have and just post it there.

-Andy