[postgis-users] OT Understanding slow queries

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 1 16:45:19 PDT 2011

Charles,

Honestly I have little idea.  In theory you should fair better with Linux,
but I think it depends on the kinds of processes you run how much better it
is and how much ram you have.  One advantage that Linux has over windows
(which is an advantage when running 32-bit Linux even, but more of an
advantage I think when you are running 64-bit Linux) is that you can
allocate more shared memory so processes that benefit on a lot of shared
memory should benefit (basically processes where you are using more or less
the same data in different ways can live in RAM.  Windows is limited not
just for the 32-bit but also the 64-bit and I think this is just a
fundamental flaw in PostgreSQL on windows.

So generally speaking on windows I can't boost my shared memory more than
say I think about 700 - 1GB without running into crashing issues.
As far as work mem and so forth is concerned, on 32-bit windows you can have
as much as 4GB per postgres process (and more with 64-bit windows) , but of
course if you are running
Linux and 64-bit at that you can go up way more.

I'm sure Linux folks will shoot me for saying this and chew me out, but I
haven't really noticed much of a difference running my processes on 64-bit
Linux vs. 32-bit window,
but then again my processes are probably different from other peoples and I
don't have a 32G ram Linux to take advantage of the massive more shared
memory I can allocate.

So on the low end (say 4-8GB ram range I suspect there isn't much of a
difference, but when you get higher to the 32GB/64GB range, you would
probably do a lot better with Linux.

Thanks,
Regina

  _____