[postgis-users] OT Understanding slow queries

Charles Galpin cgalpin at lhsw.com
Thu Sep 1 12:09:34 PDT 2011

Hi Regina

I am revisiting this again.  How much of a performance difference should one expect to see between the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version of postgres when using PostGIS for typical gis queries like filtering by bounding box, locating nearest points etc? Depending on how I break up my data, I'll have anywhere from 200k to 260M records per table depending on how I partition it on a machine with 32G of ram.

I am trying to make a case to use linux for a specific project but without being able to say there are significant gains (in performance) I'm just fighting an uphill battle. At best right now I can use the latest postgis/postgresql under windows but only 32 bit.

Thanks,
charles