[postgis-users] compile on solaris 11 sparc

Doug McComber doug.mccomber at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:54:39 PDT 2011

On 2 September 2011 21:28, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> Doug McComber wrote:
>> On 09/ 2/11 04:59 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
>
>>> CC="gcc -m64"
>>> CXX="g++ -m64"
>>> CPP="gcc -m64 -E"
> [...]
>>    CPP="gcc"
> [...]
>> /opt/studio11/SUNWspro/bin/cc -Xa -E -traditional-cpp postgis.sql.in.c |
>> grep -v '^#' > postgis.sql.in
>> /bin/sh: line 1: /opt/studio11/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found
>
> Here's the difference. In order to call GCC as the preprocessor, you should
> add "-E", otherwise configure will (at least I'd expect it this way) realize
> this is not a working CPP and will look for an alternate - which typically
> is 'cc' on Solaris.
>
> Cheers,
>        Martin.

Didn't work (E flag).  I ended up dumping Solaris for FreeBSD.  You
see I always fall for this trap.  Every time I dust of my Sunfire I
get enchanted with the idea of using Solaris.  But, and especially
with Oracle now, Solaris is not very free or open.  And I always end
up running into some hurdle that isn't worth struggling with when
there are plenty of good alternatives (Debian and FreeBSD come to
mind).  Of course I am ranting here so I'll stop. :)  Thanks for your
and everyone else's help in trying to solve this.

Doug