[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Vote On Project Sponsorship

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 02:48:42 PDT 2011

On 02/09/11 21:36, Paragon Corporation wrote:

>   Chris,
>
> I'm cc'ing regular users on this since it was several of them who had asked
> for this and that is the main reason
> I am pushing it.
>
> 1) I'm a bit pessimistic we would garner enough funds to fund a particular
> feature.
> So lets just not go there.  It's talking about stuff that may never happen
> And those things may best be dealt with between two individuals if we can't
> come to an agreement.
>
> 2) I was thinking the money could be spent to support plane tickets and fees
> say go to FOSS4G etc that many of our developers wouldn't be able to afford
> on their own.
>
> 3) I was thinking Refractions should be reimbursed in some way for providing
> hosting, build bot etc.
> And if we did have extra -- perhaps we can have build bots for other
> platforms
> So that these major changes we make aren't quite so painful (we catch them
> much earlier on).
>
> I do not see this as a free money, but more as a simple answer to people
> when they ask
> "If I want to fund the project, who do I give money too?"
>
> This is an extremely frustrating question to not be able to answer and I
> don't think any of us would
> Feel comfortable saying "Give it to me directly"

I agree that while assigning financial resource to development tasks is
going to be tricky and require quite a bit of time, I do like the idea
of things like sponsorship for travel to code sprints (hey - I'm in
Europe!) and also some funding some kind of build infrastructure. For
example, I think it would be useful to fund Win32 and Win64 cloud
instances so that I can help Regina with the Windows builds when she
gets stuck.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS