[postgis-users] Unique IDs in Views and Quantum GIS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Sep 16 04:58:34 PDT 2011

Hi Phil,

If your view is large, you will get sluggish performance with QGIS. One solution is a materialised view, which is not directly supported in Postgres, but can be made to work. This does create a physical table representing the view, which can have appropriate indexes applied.

The issue without direct support for materialised views is maintenance: assuring that the MV is automatically updated to match the underlying tables. This is discussed & examples using triggers shown at:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Materialized_Views

HTH,

  Brent Wood