[postgis-users] how to select points outside polygons?

Vishal Mehta vishal.mehta at sei-us.org
Thu Sep 29 10:21:46 PDT 2011

I have a point layer and a polygon layer. How do I select points that are NOT contained within polygons?

For example, this query correctly selects points contained by polygons
--
                select powerplants.gid, plantname
                from powerplants, pca_huc

I tried to get the inverse selection using st_disjoint instead of st_contains , but that did not work. I also tried using NOT and EXCEPT without success (although I may not have constructed the latter queries correctly..)

Thanks!
Vishal