[postgis-users] Severe shapefile upload issues

THX1138 ap.joseph at live.com
Fri Apr 6 20:10:58 PDT 2012

The following works fine for me:

psql -U postgres
#in psql prompt:
CREATE DATABASE template_postgis20 WITH TEMPLATE = template1 ENCODING =
'UTF8';
\c template_postgis20
CREATE SCHEMA postgis;CREATE EXTENSION postgis WITH SCHEMA postgis; CREATE
EXTENSION postgis_topology;
SET search_path TO postgis;
\i /usr/share/postgresql/9.1/contrib/postgis-2.0/legacy_minimal.sql
ALTER DATABASE template_postgis20 SET search_path TO
public,postgis,topology;
UPDATE pg_database SET datistemplate = TRUE WHERE datname =
'template_postgis20';

When I originally did:

SET search_path TO postgis;

I thought that this meant to set the search path in the database (not for
the instance of a session), I did not realize that I actually had to alter
the database and change the search path.

It might be worth adding something about going about these steps to the
extension installation documentation as, while it makes sense once you get
used to it, someone new to schemas, such as myself, assumes their postgis
install itself is corrupt.

Thanks for helping me solve this issue!

THX1138