[postgis-users] Using shp2pgsql

Paul Maddock Paul.Maddock at ijus.net
Wed Apr 25 07:46:49 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I'm using the following code to transform a shapefile I have into a table and import it into my database:
shp2pgsql -s 3754 ~/JOE/columbus/pole_region.shp columbus.pole_region | psql -h localhost -U postgres -p 5432 -d paul

When it runs I have to put my password in for postgres (expected), and I get the following output:

ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
[...]

The database paul is created and the schema columbus is created and is owned by postgres.

What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to set datatypes?

Thanks for the help,
Paul

Paul A. Maddock
Mapping Technician